From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Wayland - too early to try?
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 22:35:02
1 On Thursday 13 Jul 2017 21:58:10 Mart Raudsepp wrote:
2 > Ühel kenal päeval, K, 12.07.2017 kell 09:33, kirjutas Mick:
3 > > On Tuesday 11 Jul 2017 23:14:16 Mick wrote:
4 > > > On Wednesday 12 Jul 2017 01:10:00 Mart Raudsepp wrote:
5 > > > > > I copied /usr/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop to
6 > > > > > /usr/share/wayland-
7 > > > > > sessions/ and tried to select it in LightDM. Unfortunately
8 > > > > > LightDM
9 > > > > > returns me
10 > > > > > back to the login page. I don't know if this is a result of
11 > > > > > LightDM
12 > > > > > not being
13 > > > > > compatible with Wayland and friends, or if I need to install
14 > > > > > some
15 > > > > > other
16 > > > > > package in addition to what has been emerged already.
17 > > > >
18 > > > > The desktop manager needs to be using wayland to be able to
19 > > > > launch
20 > > > > wayland desktop sessions. LightDM is not such a desktop manager
21 > > > > to my
22 > > > > knowledge and you won't be able to launch any wayland sessions
23 > > > > with it.
24 > > > >
25 > > > > Mart
26 > > >
27 > > > Thanks Mart, what other DM or means do I have to launch
28 > > > enlightenment with
29 > > > wayland? I'm guessing the time honoured startx from a console
30 > > > won't cut it.
31 > >
32 > > Oh dear! I noticed this:
33 > >
34 > > https://git.enlightenment.org/core/enlightenment.git/tree/README.wayl
35 > > and
36 > >
37 > > which states that efl *must* be built with --enable-systemd
38 > > option. I am
39 > > running openrc ... so I don't know if the above just requires this as
40 > > a build
41 > > time dependency, or is needs systemd to be running. Anyway, from
42 > > that write
43 > > up and the Known Issues at the bottom it seems Wayland is not ready
44 > > for prime
45 > > time yet.
46 >
47 > That README.wayland looks rather outdated. There are issues mentioned
48 > in the end that have been fixed since mid-2016 with xorg-server
49 > releases out since then with the fixes (Xwayland comes from xorg-
50 > server[wayland]).
51
52 Yes, this is encouraging and things are moving fast in e_git code.
55 > Regarding systemd, wayland sessions usually require logind seat
56 > interfaces. If you want to stick with OpenRC, you might need to look
57 > into elogind then, which is now in Gentoo and integrated for some
58 > Plasma wayland usages, but EFL stuff might need some ebuild changes too
59 > to use that instead of systemd provided logind.
62 > Mart
63
64 It'll take a dev interested in getting EFL to get this to run on openrc or
65 with elogind. I'll keep an eye out for developments in this area. The
66 direction of travel appears to be towards Wayland, but the ETA is of course
67 unknown.
68
69 Interestingly, selecting Plasma to run with Wayland won't launch either. It
70 drops me back into the LoginDM screen.
71 --
72 Regards,
73 Mick