From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X Forwarding from virtual host
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 09:21:02
1 On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 1:20 PM Dan Egli <dan@×××××××××××.site> wrote:
2
3 > Okay, this is I HOPE a simple enough question. I have a virtual server
4 > running on my Win10 Host (not my ideal O/S!) that has a full X environment
5 > on it. I usually connect via Putty(ssh) using VirtualBox's Host Only
6 > network. That's great for text, but how do I set things up so that I can
7 > run X programs on the virtual box and have them show on my Win host? I have
8 > an implimentation of X for Windows (Xming)running, and I set putty to
9 > forward X connections, but when I try something as silly as xeyes, it
10 > fails. I've notice that the DISPLAY environment isn't being set, but
11 > setting it myself doesn't seem to help. The Virtual Server's IP is
12 > 192.168.56.25 and the Host automatically gets .1, so I tried setting
13 > DISPLAY=129.168.56.1:0 and it doesn't work. I get a message "No protocol
14 > specified" followed by the error "Error: Can't open display: 192.168.56.1:0
15 > .0"
16 >
17 Usually when you forward X over ssh, DISPLAY is a port on the ssh client,
18 which is then forwarded by ssh to the remote port, that is, the port on the
19 remote server that the X server is listening on. So putty should be
20 automatically setting DISPLAY to something like 192.168.56.25:10.0 (ie
21 port 6010 on the guest) when you enable X forwarding. If it's not i'd say
22 there's something wrong with the putty setup.
23
24 That said, i think you should be able to just connect directly to
25 192.168.56.1:0.0 anyway - does Xming have an xhost setting? Does netstat on
26 the host show its listening on port 6000? Windows firewall?