From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How does Gentoo deal with GCC's header fixes?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 15:06:51
1 On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > When building GCC, it will scan all headers in /usr/include and apply fixes
3 > to them, and then copy them and use the modified versions.  Now a binary
4 > distro (AFAIK) will ship the GCC modified headers, so there's no problem.
5 >
6 > Gentoo on the other hand will work as intended by GCC only if the user
7 > re-emerges GCC after every time a package is emerged that installs headers.
8 >  Obviously, no user does that.
9 >
10 > So the question is simple; does Gentoo deal with this problem in any way?
11
12 As far as I understand it, the header fixes are only there to fix
13 things that cause the compilation of GCC itself to fail, so I don't
14 think they are important other than when you are compiling GCC.
15
16 I have nothing insightful to add other than links to some
17 documentation that may be helpful, which you've probably already read.
18 :)
19
20 gcc-4.4.4.tar.bz2:/gcc-4.4.4/fixincludes/README
21 http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.4.4/gcc/Fixed-Headers.html
22 http://autogen.SourceForge.net/fixinc.html