From: Davyd McColl <davydm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: tab-grouping in Firefox
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 05:37:03
1 On October 22, 2018 7:26:53 AM Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > 181015 Philip Webb wrote:
4 >> The big question is whether I can still group tabs,
5 >> whether directly with FF or via some add-on (whatever they're now called).
6 >
7 > I've now been using FF for a few days & can report my experience.
8 > There doesn't seem to be an add-on which reproduces the old version.
9 > However, I've done what I thought mb the best imitation :
10 > the answer is windows ! -- no, not that Windows, but FF windows.
11 > It's simple to drag-drop tabs from one FF window to another :
12 > you just have to make sure you drop it into the Tab Bar.
13 >
14 > My daily use of this is when reading news stories.
15 > If I'm reading the Guardian, there are 5 story lists I check :
16 > World, UK, Biz, Opinion + the home page. The problem is
17 > that not all Biz stories are listed there, but mb eg under World,
18 > so to group them for easy reading I need to grab all of them,
19 > then move them into my desired groups, ie World, UK, Biz (incl Brexit),
20 > Science+Environment, Entertainment (sport history pictures etc).
21 > This was easy fun using the old Tab Groups ;
22 > now it's not fun, but fairly easy to do by creating separate windows
23 > & dragging the appropriate tabs into the appropriate windows ;
24 > dragging the 1st onto the desktop creates each window.
25 >
26 > Does anyone know why FF dropped this feature ?
27 > It looks as if it sb easy to develop as a front-end to window management.
28 >
29 > Otherwise, the new FF is noticeably faster than the old FF.
30 >
31 > Also, can anyone tell me how to remove an add-on ?
32 The "hamburger" menu (three horizontal lines) need the top-right) has a
33 menu item to get to addons - simply disable or uninstall from there.
34 >
35 > --
37 > SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
38 > ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
39 > TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca