From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Print to cups printer from Windows - any good instructions?
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 22:25:39
1 On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 8:10 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> I've now tested my Vista machine. It works fine and Vista actually had
5 >> an HP driver for this printer so I used that driver since the Adobe
6 >> postscript driver doesn't install on Vista. From Vista I can print in
7 >> color on the cups printer. On the XP machine using the generic
8 >> postscript driver I get black & white.
9 >
10 > It all seems so easy now :)
11 >
12 > Has anyone got any tips on setting it up the other way? Printing from
13 > linux to a shared (non-network) printer connected to a Windows
14 > machine? Surely that would require Samba...
15 >
16 > Thanks,
17 > Paul
18
19 Yeah, it does. Almost too easy.
20
21 If I'm left with any technical questions about doing this (and I am)
22 then the first one is to better understand this concept of RAW print
23 queues as brought up by Willie. I suppose the idea is that cups
24 doesn't do anything to data arriving on that interface and just sends
25 it to the printer? That way a windows machine might format a page
26 using its own driver and cups just passes the data on? Makes sense to
27 me, but it's all made up and I can't find any real info specifically
28 about that yet.
29
30 I don't understand yet whether my XP machine is using the 'raw'
31 interface. It has a postscript driver so I suspect it's sending
32 postscript. Is it then passed through 'raw', not converted by cups,
33 and handled by my $79 freebie printer Apple gave me when I made the
34 worst computer purchase of the nearly 30 years I've been using
35 computers. (Mac Mini) I douobt that printer even knows postscript so I
36 think cups must be helping out with that.
37
38 Anyway, it really does work. It's not too hard to set up. I suppose
39 someone like me should write up a little Wiki page or something but
40 I've never done anything like that so it scares me. don't mind writing
41 it but don't want to support it for fear of the depth of questions
42 I'll never be able to successfully answer! :~)
43
44 - Mark