From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB freezes the machine...
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 02:23:54
1 On Sunday 31 December 2006 13:12, "Richard Fish" <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
2 wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] USB freezes the machine...':
3 > On 12/31/06, Marco Calviani <marco.calviani@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > some days ago i've upgraded to udev-103 (stable version). Since
5 > > then i've experienced complete freezes of the machine (nothing
6 > > responds, even external ping on the network) when USB devices are
7 > > mounted.
8 >
9 > All udev does is create device nodes...it cannot effect the operation
10 > of the device or cause the system to hang.
11
12 Newer versions of udev (particularly 103) can also load kernel modules,
13 which definitely can effect the operation of the device and can cause the
14 system to hang.
17 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
18 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
19 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
20 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh