From: Toby Cubitt <tsc25@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Change in kernel netfilter config causes an error
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 11:46:52
1 On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 01:15:29PM +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
2 > Toby Cubitt wrote:
3 > >
4 > >The kernel iptables implementation changed somewhat between 2.6.15 and
5 > >2.6.16. In particular, "make oldconfig" won't set things up
6 > >correctly.
7 >
8 > What do you mean with that? I set up my 2.6.16 kernels with make oldconfig,
9 > using the 2.6.15 configs.
10 >
11 > What's broken now? I'm curious, as I didn't notice any breakage - which
12 > might just mean, that I haven't looked closely enough. Because of that,
13 > I'd like to know what to look out for.
14
15 Nothing will break as such. But some things you might expect to be
16 compiled in won't be, like iptables.
17
18 This is always a risk when using "make oldconfig", and it's why the
19 docs advise you to avoid using it between major kernel version bumps
20 (2.4 to 2.6). In practice, I find it useful even in that case, so long
21 as you then "make menuconfig" to check through the options, and add
22 missing ones.
23
24 Toby
25 --
26 PhD Student
27 Quantum Information Theory group
28 Max Planck Institute for Quantum Optics
29 Garching, Germany
30
31 email: toby@××××××××.org
32 web: www.dr-qubit.org