From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] root password on 2008.1-i686 minimal install
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 16:50:04
1 I'm unable to log in as root on the installer OS for 2008.1_beta iso.
2
3 I see nothing telling me what the root password is but the installer
4 prompts me for a username and password. When logging in as root
5 fails I'm eventually logged in as user `gentoo' but can do none of the
6 things necessary to create an install.
7
8 This seem pretty ridiculous so I'm pretty sure I'm missing some note
9 or something.
10
11 Starting the install with or without framebuffer appears to make no
12 difference in the end result.
13
14 I get a sorry little xfce desktop with no way to get to a root
15 terminal.
16
17 How can I ditch the sorry little desktop and use text mode and get
18 logged in with the necessary root premissions?
19
20 There is a `help' option on the boot screen but when I select it I get
21 a very fast scroll thru a massive file then jumps back to login
22 screen. Absolutely useless for any help.
23
24 This install is inside a vmware as guest so maybe some of this works
25 better in a normal install... I hope so.
28 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list