From: Matti Nykyri <matti.nykyri@×××.fi>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About to attempt EFI install, which modules to compile?
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 10:56:38
1 > On Feb 27, 2015, at 12:23, Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > On 02/27/2015 01:09 AM, Matti Nykyri wrote:
5 >>> On Feb 27, 2015, at 5:57, Matti Nykyri <matti.nykyri@×××.fi> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> Make a partition for gentoo and format it. Untar stage3 and portage snapshot to it (snapshot is faster than rsync). Chroot. Emerge portage and grub. I copied kernel from my old system to /boot. If you don't have this build a new one. Run grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg (mkdir if it doesn't exists. (http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2)
8 >> Manually modify grub.cfg so that the root drive will match the setup of the new system. (Something like this /dev/sdb2 -> /dev/sda2 and hd1,2 -> hd0,2)
9 >
10 > If you're using grub2, you should not be manually editing grub.cfg, just
11 > /etc/default/grub and running grub2-mkconfig. The computer I'm on right
12 > now boots with EFI, and I've never had to manually touch grub.cfg.
13
14 I don't usually use any LiveCD. I just prepare the HDD of the new system in an old box. The old system had no efi and different hard drive setup.
15
16 In that scenario it is necessary to manually intervene. Grub can not guess correctly...
19 -Matti