From: Joseph <syscon@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sub-net 0.0.0.0
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:24:22
1 On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 19:04 -0300, José Pablo Ezequiel Fernández wrote:
2 > > > Try this:
3 > > >
4 > > > on your desktop, which normally has a 10.0.0.x address, add a
5 > virtual
6 > > > entry for eth0, in other words give it another IP address in the
7 > > > subnet
8 > > > needed by the other device:
9 > > >
10 > > > something like:
11 > > >
12 > > > ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.0.10 up
13 > > >
14 > > > and you should be able to communicate directly with the device.
15 > >
16 > > Thanks Nick, this sounds interesting.
17 > >
18 > > To which file /etc/confg.d/net ?
19 > That line is for running on the command line as root,
20 > for /etc/conf.d/net, a
21 > similar one would have the same efect (check the file, it has comments
22 > about
23 > it).
24
25 Will definitely add this command to my book.
26 It is so easy and I can't believe it. It worked like a charm.
27
28 Is there a way to check what IP the device has on the network?
29 I know the device MAC address and when I plug it IN, it obtains one of
30 the IP via DHCP. With
31 arp -a IP
32 arp -e
33 I can only check the MAC address. Is there a way to other way around.
34
35 I know ethereal will capture the IP address, but I was wandering if
36 there is any command line tool.
39 #Joseph
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list