From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: new machine: Intel quad vs duo
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:46:10
1 Philip Webb <purslow <at> sympatico.ca> writes:
4 > I'm getting close to buying the parts for my new machine (see earlier msgs)
5 > & an Intel quad-core mentioned by a helpful responder
6 > has now come down almost within my price range.
7 > The CPU I have been contemplating for some weeks is
8 > an 'Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 4 MB 65 nm 2,67 GHz', which sells for CAD 225 ,
9 > but there is now 'Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 8 MB 65 nm 2,4 GHz' for CAD 305 ;
10 > the 8 MB cache in the latter divides into 2 x 4 MB / pair processors.
11 > Prices continue to drop weekly & should go lower with our higher CAD.
12
13 > My guess is that even a dual-core CPU wb overkill for my simple desktop,
14 > but I'm keen to get value for money in a machine intended to last to 2011 .
15 > Does anyone have any thoughts re dual- vs quad-core processors
16 > when used for various purposes with Gentoo ?
19 To really quantify things, you need to look at the minutia of
20 how the processors are interconnected, bandwidth, and a host of
21 very hardware oriented details. From a commons sense approach,
22 better performance must be achieved from the smaller sizes
23 of the transistors and such on the new 65-nm processes that are
24 used to build such multi-processor semiconductors. You can spend
25 a huge amount of time drilling down into these details, if
26 you want to. My experience is all that performance requires
27 and extra premium in costs from the purchaser to make the
28 suppler rich (or at least enough money to design the next chip).
29 Intel extracts a bit more profit from the user than AMD, because
30 they can. Just like Nvidia make more money than ATI.....
31
32 That said, I like AMD products, but, it is a choice.
35 The better questions to ask are:
36 1) Does the linux kernel run on this processor?
37 2) Does the extra cost seem reasonable for my needs?
38 3) Ask any minutia questions to some kernel experts
39 (for example maybe kernel.org or Intel have some
40 published benchmarks)
41 4) Look for relevant benchmarks (benchmarks are like
42 statistics, folks publish what promotes their position.
43 5) Just by the dam thing and enjoy the hell out of a smokin
44 box that the rest of us only dream about....
47 (don't forget to purchase generous amounts of the fastest
48 ram the machine supports, or your pissing away your money.
49 Large L2 cache and the fastest memory available for your
50 processor dollars are usually the best choices, in my experience.
51
52 Also look into heating issues and possible using a water cooling
53 system to extend the life of the processors and keep the
54 dB level down to something reasonable....
55
56 Personally, I put off purchases as much as possible, but when the
57 time comes I get a 'one off' of the latest and newest, to stretch
58 my limited dollars (or those whom I work for).
61 hth,
62
63 James
69 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list