From: Ognjen Bezanov <ognjen@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: converting any video to mpeg-1, mpeg-4 or DivX-5
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 02:36:30
1 Iain Buchanan wrote:
2
3 >Success! Partially at least (skip to the bottom if you want to know
4 >how!)
5 >
6 >On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 15:02 +0000, James wrote:
9 >>Iain Buchanan <iaindb <at> netspace.net.au> writes:
13 >>>Space it not too much of an issue
14 >>>
15 >>>
16 >>Disc space is a relative thing. It always get's filled up. Human nature.
17 >>You will never have enough disk space for adults is like
18 >>candy for children, never, ever enough.
22 >good point - same with memory, processor speed, etc. As soon as you
23 >have more, something more intensive comes out to use it...
27 >>>So, here are my questions:
28 >>>1. whats the best format to use out of the ones listed, given
29 >>>
30 >>>
31 >>Well you first have to realize that 'mpeg 4' is like saying
32 >>I want a car.
35 >[snip]
36 >
37 >wow. After reading your post, I realise it's much more complicated that
38 >I first thought...
42 >>Use H.264 until theora matures.
46 >Unfortunately, with the comments from you and Uwe, I don't think H.264
47 >will be suitable. Firstly, I doubt my little low powered video device
48 >will decode it, secondly I doubt I can encode it properly on linux, as
49 >good as it sounds.
50 >
51 >I think I will be happy with something simpler, even though it may be a
52 >lower quality (that's the human subjective perception of the quality of
53 >course :) I guess it's like when people ask me for a recommendation on
54 >purchasing computers. They want to buy the cheap sub-$1000 all in one
55 >deals, and I say "stay away, you're better off in the long run going for
56 >something more expensive, with a better quality, longer life, etc".
57 >However, sometimes they purchase their sub-$1000 PC's and they're
58 >perfectly happy, because they don't use it like I do, and they haven't
59 >had the experience with higher quality.
63 >>HTH,
67 >absolutely!
68 >
69 >---------------------------------------------------------------
70 >
71 >So, this is what I've come up with so far (for those following the
72 >thread). Simply:
73 >
74 >ffmpeg -i test.wmv -b 4000 -s 640x480 -an test.mp4
75 >
76 >(It's the filename .mp4 that did it! note the -an produces no audio)
77 >
78 >$ file test.mp4
79 >test.mp4: ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, version 1
80 >
81 >however:
82 >$ ls -alh test*
83 >-rw-r--r-- 1 iain users 8.5M 2005-12-16 09:18 test.mp4
84 >-rw------- 1 iain users 1.8M 2005-12-15 21:51 test.wmv
85 >
86 >as you can see, thats ~4x the size of the original... and thats without
87 >sound. That's not so good...
88 >
89 >Well, I still have a bit to go, but at least I know I can put
90 >_something_ on the device! If anyone is interested, I can keep posting
91 >back here with my results.
92 >
93 >PS, can someone give me an example of how to encode divx with mencoder
94 >or ffmpeg? Or any program on linux for that matter?
95 >
96 >thanks!
99 On My site I wrote about DVD 2-Pass encoding to xvid (hope its close
100 enough to divx for you, you can do divx as well, but I am not sure how)
101 , Basically this command provides xvid encoding:
102
103 /mencoder dvd://1 -sws 2 -nosound -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=580 -o
104 ./video.avi
105
106 I presume you probably will need to state the input file rather then
107 dvd://1
108 /
111 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list