From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DVD->mp4 - handbrake vs something else
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 20:46:23
1 On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I started looking around in Google for something to encode a few DVDs
3 > so that I could see how well it works. A program called handbrake was
4 > showing up in a lot of links, but it requires an overlay. While I have
5 > no problem adding yet another overlay (which on is best?) I wondered
6 > what might be in the normal portage database that others here use for
7 > this purpose?
8
9 I use dvd::rip (media-video/dvdrip) to rip DVDs in general.
10
11 You can use MP4box (media-video/gpac) to convert other container
12 formats to MP4 if the audio and video are already in the proper
13 format.
14
15 For transcoding files, ffmpeg can probably do everything.