From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Creating binary packages before updating them
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 14:22:18
1 On Monday 29 Jul 2013 07:27:23 Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-07-29 7:18 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Normally, when I'm about to update an important package, I back it up
4 > > first using quickpkg. I'm often in a situation though where many
5 > > important packages are being updated in a world update. Normally, I
6 > > have to manually quickpkg every one of them.
7 > >
8 > > Is there a way to tell emerge to do this on its own? That is, create
9 > > binary packages of every package that it is replacing?
10 >
11 > Add FEATURES="buildpkg" to make.conf...
12
13 That way you'll gradually build up a /usr/portage/packages directory with a
14 package for everything installed. Or if you don't want to wait months for
15 that:
16
17 # emerge -eB world
18
19 when your box is not too busy. My KDE amd64 box (not ~amd64, for the most
20 part) has 918 packages installed and the .../packages directory occupies 2GB.
23 Regards,
24 Peter