From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Non-deprecated Kernel support for ATA CDROM?
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 20:13:38
1 On 1/21/2011 1:07 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > I've noticed that for quite some time now that ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL
3 > support been shown as deprecated when configuring a kernel.
4 > Unfortunately, that support is the only way I've never been able to
5 > get ATAPI CDROMs to work.
6 >
7 > Are we all supposed to rip out the drives and replace them with SATA
8 > CDROM drives?
9 >
10 > I get the impression that "Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers"
11 > section is supposed to support ATAPI CDROM drives, but I've never been
12 > ble to get that to work.
13 >
14 > What am I missing?
17 Under the Serial/Parallel ATA section is a section specifically for
18 legacy IDE devices; it's listed as "ATA SFF Support".
19
20 From there you just need to pick the correct DMA interface; most likely
21 yours will be somewhere in the Bus-Master DMA list, "ATA BMDMA Support",
22 with whatever IDE chipset you have.
23
24 You'll also need to enable SCSI CD-ROM support even if your CD-ROM isn't
25 SCSI; I'd also recommend not enabling SCSI Generic support unless you
26 absolutely have to; for some reason my CD-ROM drive kept getting hooked
27 up to the sg driver instead of the sr driver, and udev didn't believe it
28 was a CD-ROM anymore.
29
30 --Mike