From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Blocking certain sites the easy way ?
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 08:39:57
1 On Thursday, May 28, 2015 7:11:08 AM Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > With wireshark I found, that firefox accesses sites on startup, from
5 > which I dont know, for what reason this access is needed or whether
6 > the NSA, CIA, FBI, BDN, MOSSAD (fill in what organisation you ever
7 > suspect to do such things) has invaded my PC.
8 >
9 > I want to block such accesses for two reasons: First is ...hmmm...
10 > to block that accesses...
11
12 For an easy way to block sites based on domain name just add them to
13 /etc/hosts and map them to 127.0.0.1.
14
15 > second is to find out what will not work than.
16
17 It depends on what it is, mostlikely something you want. It may be firefox
18 downloading the database of blacklisted sites for the "Block reported attack
19 sites" and "Block reported web forgeries" features so those thing will not
20 work properly. It could also be an ad block or some other plugin downloading
21 the ads database. It could be downloading or verifying SSL certificates. It
22 could be the Bookmark sync feature, etc, etc.
26 Fernando Rodriguez