From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Phonon + PulseAudio Problem
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 03:19:52
1 On Wednesday 19 May 2010 23:56:39 walt wrote:
2 > On 05/19/2010 12:59 PM, Fabian Köster wrote:
3 > > Hi *,
4 > >
5 > > I am currently trying to use Phonon and PulseAudio and have the following
6 > > problem:
7 > >
8 > > When I play some Video with a Non-KDE application like VLC everything is
9 > > perfectly directed to the local PulseAudio running on my machine and i
10 > > have the expected sound-output.
11 > >
12 > > But when I use a KDE-Application like Kaffeine or Amarok there is no
13 > > sound output although the stream is listed by pavucontrol...
14 >
15 > Well, since I'm first to answer I get to inject my prejudices first :)
16 >
17 > I think pulse is a very long answer to a very short question and so I did
18 > away with it months ago. And I haven't regretted it.
19 >
20 > Truly, I think very few people need pulse outside of professionals who work
21 > in film or music. The main reason others have disagreed with my opinion is
22 > because your silly desktop sounds like beeps and boings and toilets
23 > flushing interrupt the CD you're listening to. Uh, well, yeah, one sound
24 > generally interrupts another, true. So what?
25 >
26 > I'll bet your audio would do what you expect it to do if you just removed
27 > every trace of pulse from your machine and run revdep-rebuild with the
28 > pulse, arts, and esd useflags disabled (if those flags still exist).
29 >
30 > Contrary opinions will follow shortly ;)
33 No, I don't think they will :-)
36 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com