From: "Sartorelli
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo in the workplace
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 02:31:28
1 Hi there,
2 This is possibly already answered elsewhere, however I've trolled through google to no avail.
3 I've upgraded my work machine from a Windows 2000 machine to Gentoo (running on a Dell GX520) with VMware running XP, Vista, 2000.
4
5 Most things run fine, but unfortunately I've had a few problems with things such as Active X pages (i.e. Cisco Call Manager, Infra, etc).
6
7 I've tried using wine (version 0.9.29) and installing IE however I couldn't find the full installer and we use a proxy here (the installer craps out when trying to set it up within the installer)
8 So I installed ieslinux and tried that - it seems to work and lets me load some pages however they don't all load correctly... infect the majority don't...
9 So I unmasked wine with the x86 keyword and tried both options again with the same results for the first option and ieslinux getting to the same place and stopping (but with text visibility bugs) and so I've now reverted back to wine 0.9.29 and am officially stuck.
10 Firefox doesn't seem to support Active X at all, however there was a plugin for v1.5 which I tried and didn't have any luck with.
11
12 I've heard you can copy across a entire system32 folder and get wine working better, is this true?
13 I'm a member of transgaming (Cedega) is this worth trying? (Internet Explorer wasn't listen in their database)
14
15 There are other bugs and issues I'm trying to nut out (like a virtual OS X install, i support Macs unfortunately as part of my role), but at the moment getting ActiveX going is the most critical (as I'm using my old machine or virtuals to do allot of my work)
16
17 Any thoughts/comments/miracles/donuts or donations would be greatly appreciated.
18 Cheers,
19
20 Jason Sartorelli
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list