From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: About the change from /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 17:34:38
1 On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > pk <peterk2@××××××××.se> writes:
3 >
4 >> Harry Putnam wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> For now, with hal, with dbus, assuming no xorg.conf... where are
7 >>> custom settings regarding the X session done?
8 >>
9 >> Under /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/... or you could continue to use the old
10 >> xorg.conf since that will override what's in ...xorg.conf.d/
11 >
12 > OK, let me try this once more:
13 >
14 > Using only the current setup, that is, one with hal and dbus installed
15 > and one that does not use xorg.conf... and apparently does not use
16 > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d either... since that directory is not present.
17 >
18 > But yet an X display happens when I type `startx', apparently
19 > generated somewhere automatically.
20 >
21 > What I'm asking is where does one make customizations to that auto
22 > generated process... something is doing it.. some file or something is
23 > involved... but what and where?
24
25 Check the X log file to see what it's doing automatically. If you're
26 unhappy with its automatic choices you can then edit or create the
27 policy files in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/ to make it behave the way you
28 want. Figuring out exactly how and where to make those changes is the
29 hard part... Googling your specific needs will usually come up with an
30 example from somewhere out there.
31
32 Also see the Gentoo Xorg 1.5 upgrade guide for some more info:
33 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.5-upgrade-guide.xml
34
35 Good luck :)