From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange portage behaviour
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2020 19:16:04
1 On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 3:01 PM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Monday, 3 August 2020 14:18:22 BST Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >
5 > > Sounds like you want --usepkgonly y --binpkg-respect-use y (the first
6 > > is the same as -K). At least, I think that is what you're getting at
7 > > - I could be misunderstanding your goal.
8 >
9 > Not exactly. I'm finding that emerge -K installs every package whose binpkg
10 > exists, regardless of whether it's installed in the system already. Emerge -k
11 > doesn't. Neither of them takes any notice of what packages are installed in
12 > the system, and I think they should.
13
14 -k/K have nothing to do with package selection - just the use of
15 binary packages.
16
17 If you run emerge @core then anything in @core should get installed.
18 Adding -K or -k will either allow or force the use of binary packages,
19 but it shouldn't cause stuff that isn't in @core to get installed
20 unless it is a dependency.
23 Rich