From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 03:40:24
1 On 6/26/2011 4:01 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
3 >> Am Sonntag, 26. Juni 2011, 10:28:47 schrieb Dale:
4 >>> Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
5
6 >>>> Try euse -I fortran.
7 >>>> If anything besides gcc pops up, you should have one.
8
9 >>> That doesn't appear to work like it should then. I get this:
10 >>>
11 >>> root@fireball / # euse -I fortran
12 >>> global use flags (searching: fortran)
13 >>> ************************************************************
14 >>> [+ CD ] fortran - Adds support for fortran (formerly f77)
15 >>>
16 >>> Installed packages matching this USE flag:
17 >>> sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5
18 >>>
19 >>> local use flags (searching: fortran)
20 >>> ************************************************************
21 >>> no matching entries found
22 >>> root@fireball / #
23
24 > Thing is, I switched it back and programs on here now need
25 > fortran to build. So, euse is not reporting it but R and
26 > Cantor won't build without fortran. Basically, euse should
27 > also report R and cantor but it isn't. If mine isn't
28 > reporting that, then Peter's may not either.
29
30 Neither of those packages has a "fortran" USE flag, and
31 cantor doesn't "know" anything about FORTRAN.
32
33 cantor has an R USE flag, to switch it's R backend on/off. R
34 doesn't have a USE flag for FORTRAN because that would be
35 pointless -- it *requires* an f77 compiler, so it depends on
36 virtual/fortran unconditionally.
37
38 You would probably be better off using
39
40 root@platypus ~ # equery depends virtual/fortran
41 dev-python/numpy-1.6.0 (lapack ? virtual/fortran)
42
43 You will probably have both R and blas in that list as well.
44 If so, you will need to continue to enable gcc[fortran] to
45 build those.
46
47 (The fact that gcc has a fortran USE flag is only relevant
48 because it's the default compiler; you could also
49 potentially have ifc installed to satisfy virtual/fortran,
50 rendering gcc's USE flag irrelevant.)
51
52 --Mike