From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WLAN performance
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 14:36:13
1 On 21 Mar 2008, at 10:33, Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > ... both cards are cofigured for 54 MBit/s
3 > ... I only get about 13 MBit/s, both on NFS and scp.
4
5 I'd be really quite happy with that.
6
7 As BillK remarks, 50% of your 54 Mbit is consumed by protocol
8 overhead. You're probably going to tell us that the two machines are
9 currently right next to each other, so losing an additional 50% to
10 interference & other intangibles might seem at first sight
11 unreasonable, but I doubt you'll ever do any better than that, and
12 you could waste a lot of time trying.
13
14 Wireless is for surfing on the sofa - you can easily get eighty times
15 this throughput with a cable, so investing time & energy in trying to
16 get a two-times performance increase is a poor return.
17
18 Stroller.
19 --
20 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list