From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 11:53:20
1 On Sunday 21 Apr 2013 11:28:56 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 20:15:49 -0500, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 > > So normal systems require PA. That *you* perhaps don't require PA is
4 > > another thing altogether.
5 >
6 > I think the important point from the original post, which appears to have
7 > been lost, is that removing PA is a trivial (by Gentoo standards) task.
8 > Negate one USE flag and update world and the system just keeps working
9 > without PA. I discovered the opposite, that enabling it is just as easy.
10 >
11 > That means it does really matter whether it is enabled or not in the
12 > default profiles, because anyone running a completely default system is
13 > wasting their time using Gentoo.
14 >
15 > On for desktops
16
17 I'm running 'default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop' on this box and the pulseaudio
18 USE flag is inactive as far as portage is concerned. None of my packages are
19 bringing in pulseaudio either:
20
21 ~ $ euse -I pulseaudio
22 global use flags (searching: pulseaudio)
23 ************************************************************
24 [- ] pulseaudio - Adds support for PulseAudio sound server
25
26 Installed packages matching this USE flag:
27 app-accessibility/espeak-1.45.04
28 app-accessibility/speech-dispatcher-0.7.1-r1
29 kde-base/kmix-4.10.1-r1
30 kde-base/phonon-kde-4.10.1
31 media-libs/libao-1.1.0-r1
32 media-libs/libsdl-1.2.15-r2
33 media-libs/phonon-4.6.0-r1
34 media-plugins/gst-plugins-meta-0.10-r8
35 media-sound/mpg123-1.14.4
36 media-video/ffmpeg-0.10.7
37 media-video/mplayer-1.1-r1
38 media-video/vlc-2.0.5
39 net-libs/ptlib-2.10.10
40 net-misc/freerdp-1.1.0_pre20121004-r1
41 net-voip/ekiga-4.0.0-r1
42 www-client/chromium-26.0.1410.43
43
44 local use flags (searching: pulseaudio)
46 no matching entries found
47
48 I guess that the gnome/kde make.profiles may include this USE flag in their
49 defaults?
52 > and off for servers and other minimal profiles seems
53 > eminently sensible and all of this argument makes bike-shedding seem like
54 > important stuff.
57 Regards,
58 Mick