From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] a couple of questions about updating gentoo
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 23:35:44
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Sunday 03 July 2011 06:26:00 covici@××××××××××.com did opine
4 > thusly:
5 > > Hi. I am having problems with my current world update of an
6 > > unstable gentoo system. Before I paste the output, I need to tell
7 > > you that I need to have perl compiled with threads enabled because
8 > > its a requirement of freeswitch -- my current pbx. Also, I want to
9 > > stay with Firefox 3 and up to now, portage has just skipped the
10 > > xulrunner update, I am not sure why its changed its mind. Also,
11 > > what can I do about the gst plugin -- I don't understand what it is
12 > > trying to tell me here.
13 >
14 > There's a massive bunch of plugins for gstreamer, and not all of them
15 > got updated simultaneously (or maybe the ebuilds are not all done
16 > yet).
17 >
18 > Either way, you have versions 0.10.35 conflicting with 0.10.32 and
19 > portage can't fix it by itself, as it's trying to do the updates in
20 > the wrong order for that.
21 >
22 > Fix it like so:
23 >
24 > - eix gst-plugins-
25 > - pick everything out of that long list that will upgraded to 0.10.35
26 > - emerge them manually
27 > - proceed with emerge world
28 >
29 > There's probably a shorter way, one critical plugins package that when
30 > upgraded manually will release the whole lot. I didn't bother with
31 > that - looked like too much effort for a Sunday morning
32 >
33 > Don't just look at the portage output, see lots of stuff and get
34 > confused. Actually read it and examine each line. It makes sense.
35 >
36 > As for your other errors (xulrunner etc), I don't know about those, I
37 > didn't hit them myself.
41 Thanks, sounds like a pain, but doable.
44 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
45 How do
46 you spend it?
47
48 John Covici