From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Thunderbird 78
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 13:43:48
1 On 8/19/20 6:20 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 14:37:30 -0400, james wrote:
3 >
4 >> It was release mid July:
5 >>
6 >> https://blog.thunderbird.net/2020/07/whats-new-in-thunderbird-78/
9 >> Any idea where the first 'beta' version can be grabbed, as an ebuild?
10 >
11 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/733062
12 >
13 > "Mozilla Thunderbird 78.0 is now available.
14 >
15 > However, we don't plan to bump until 78.2 release because of known
16 > problems and upstream's advice not to upgrade yet.
17 >
18 > Thunderbird 78.2 is scheduled for end of August 2020."
21 Thanks everyone for responding; thunderbird and all it's functions has
22 served my needs well, for decades. We'll see about TB 78.x.
25 Any suggestions for other software that has such a rich and robust set
26 of features, and other strong points, would be appreciated too. I sure
27 hope that TB tightens up security too. Sadly, I do not have much to hide
28 nor super special information.But at least the pretense of security with
29 one's own mail services, is a step in the right direction from Verizon's
30 terminal email services. I like pop3 but I am open to additional
31 protocols, as long as I can easily revert back to pop3.
34 From some of my previous threads, I'm striving to get (2) R.Pi.4 boards
35 running and secured, with static IPs. So then to build (2) robust
36 systems (gentoo) to run a mail server, my own DNS authenticating
37 (primary) resolvers and robustly support pop3 & imap and the associated
38 software packages.
39
40 Thunderbird is my choice to enjoy email on the other end of those R.Pi.4
41 mail services. Other friends no doubt will use other email client,
42 including some that run on W10. TB is what I use currently with
43 verizon's failing email services.
44
45 I have never used email services on the verizon (stack) controlled
46 Samsung phones, due to the large number un-fixable security problems.
47 Eventually serving up emails to linux stack phones, and other secured
48 cell phones would be great, but not in the initial roll out.
49
50 Thanks again for the inputs.
53 James