From: "Jc García" <jyo.garcia@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Merging separate /usr back into / - one last time...
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 23:23:02
1 2013/12/3 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com>:
2 > On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 12:06 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 10:34 PM, Jc García <jyo.garcia@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> 2013/12/2 William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
5 >>>>
6 >>>> You are looking far too deep ....
7 >>>>
8 >>>>
9 >>>> just rsync -avP to /newusr
10 >>>
11 >>> +1
12 >>> I have done this more or less the same way
13 >>>>
14 >>>> reboot to livecd
15 >>>>
16 >>>> rsync again with --delete to update ... takes a only few seconds this
17 >>>> time - minimal downtime :)
18 >>>> mv /usr /oldusr
19 >>>> mv /newusr /usr
20 >>>> reboot
21 >>>
22 >>>
23 >>> Let's make this thread more interesting, would it be possible to do
24 >>> this without a reboot? ie: going single user mode, kill anything that
25 >>> might still be running from usr, umount /usr, mount it to /mnt, rsync
26 >>> -avP to usr, going again into runlevel 3 or 5.
27 >>> Obviously not possible if running systemd.
28 >>
29 >> I'm not so sure it's not possible. Perhaps it's even easier.
30 >
31 > So, yeah, I think it's easier with systemd. You just:
32 >
33 > 1. systemctl isolate emergency.target
34 > 2. log in again (all the normal gettys are killed with the above command)
35 > 3. rsync -PvasHA /usr/ /newusr/
36 > 4. mv /usr /oldusr # mv is on /bin, so no problems here
37 > 5. mv /newusr /usr
38 > 6. rm -rf /oldusr (to make sure nothing uses it anymore)
39 > 7. systemctl isolate multi-user.target
40 > 8. You have your system again.
41 >
42 Nice, I thought systemd residing within /usr would be the limitation,
43 i haven't used systemd very much , so i don't really know it's options,
44 but later after thinking about it, i thought that using the initramfs
45 would be a way to go,
46 but as i understand here systemd already has an option to make use of it.
47
48 > I did this on a minimal QEMU virtual machine. However I think it
49 > should work with even the most complex setups, as long as your
50 > initramfs has the necessary tools, which is really easy with dracut.
51 >
52 > Regards.
53 > --
54 > Canek Peláez Valdés
55 > Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
56 > Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México