From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting maximum space out of a hard drive
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 22:46:04
1 Am Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 06:26:14AM +0200 schrieb David Haller:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > On Thu, 18 Aug 2022, Dale wrote:
5 > >Rich Freeman wrote:
6 > >> On Thu, Aug 18, 2022 at 2:04 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >>>
8 > >>> Part. # Size Partition Type Partition Name
9 > >>> 1007.0 KiB free space
10 > >>> 1 9.1 TiB Linux filesystem 10Tb
11 > >>> 1007.5 KiB free space
12 > >>>
13 > >>>
14 > >>> I'm not sure why there seems to be two alignment spots. Is that
15 > >>> normal? Already, there is almost 1TB lost somewhere.
16 > >> 10 TB = 9.09495 TiB. You aren't missing much of anything.
17 > [..]
18 > Also, if you're using ext2/3/4, there's the preset, i.e. if you're
19 > rather sure about what kind of data is going to be on there, you
20 > can tune it so that it reserves more or less place for metadata like
21 > inodes, which can be another bit.
22
23 When I format a partition (and I usually use ext4, with some f2fs mingled in
24 on flash bashed devices), I always set the inode count myself, because the
25 default was always much too high. Like 15 m on a 40 GiB partition or so. My
26 arch root partition has 2 m inodes in total, 34 % of which are in use for a
27 full-fledged KDE setup. That’s sufficient.
28
29 On Gentoo, I might give it some more for the ever-growing portage directory.
30 But even a few percent on a 10 TB drive amount to many gigabytes.
33 Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
34 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
35
36 A hammer is a wonderful tool,
37 but it is plain unsuitable for cleaning windows. (SelfHTML forum)