From: allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] no sound through headphones (still bad)
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2016 15:24:42
1 Hardware: Dell Latitude E7450 laptop
2
3 Gentoo essentially all stable
4 Gnome / Systemd
5
6 When I play a movie using totem it sounds fine if no headphones are
7 plugged it.
8
9 No sound at all with headphones. I tried a few, one with a microphone
10 several without.
11
12 The gnome sound settings gui recognizes that the headphones are in but
13 the sound test is silent. If, with the phones still in, I select the
14 internal speakers, all sounds well.
15
16 I installed pauvcontrol and selected "Output Devices".
17 When I selected "Speakers" as the port the volume meter moves around
18 normally and the sound is fine.
19 When I selected "Headphones (plugged in)" as the port the volume meter
20 again moves around normally but there is no sound.
21
22 This laptop dual boots windows. I played the same movie on windows and
23 sound was normal both with the speakers and the headphones.
24
25 What should I try next?
26
27 thanks,