From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] jbd2 keeps spinning my disk up
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 16:06:57
1 On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Peter Humphrey
2 <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > Hello list,
4 >
5 > My little Atom box's hard disk spins up every minute or so, and watching
6 > iotop I see it's jbd2 that does it.
7 >
8 > This is a kernel component, and the menuconfig help text says it's set
9 > automatically by having the block layer included (and who hasn't?) together
10 > with ext4.
11 >
12 > Google shows that others have similar problems.
13 >
14 > Before I re-create all the partitions as reiserfs - and remove ext4 from the
15 > kernel - does anyone have a lighter solution?
16
17 If it's a polling commit-journal-to-disk behavior, there's certain to
18 be a configurable parameter somewhere to control the poll rate.
19
20 However, if it's doing that, then it probably has something it needs
21 to write to disk. That might be metadata updates. Have you tried
22 adding things to your mount parameters like 'noatime' or 'relatime'?
23 What about "data=writeback"?
26 :wq