From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is there any games base on openCL?
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 08:31:56
1 On 26 Aug 2010, at 06:24, Blackdream W wrote:
2 > 2010/8/26 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
3 >
4 >> On Wednesday 25 August 2010, Blackdream W wrote:
5 >>> I install the ati-drivers-10.7.1 just now,this version it seem
6 >>> support
7 >>> openCL 1.1.
8 >>>
9 >>> Any games base on it?
10 >>>
11 >>> Thanks.
12 >>
13 > games can not be based on opencl. Games might be able to use opencl
14 > tospeedup certain kinds of calculations. But you can not 'use'
15 > opencl like opengltobase a game on it.
18 > Sorry..I don't know how to describe it clearly, with my poor
19 > English...
22 My understanding is that OpenCL is mostly useful for scientific
23 applications and things like WPA cracking. It allows access to
24 graphics card processing in a way that is *not* dependent on sending
25 the results to video.
26
27 That's quite different from the need, in gaming, to send high-quality
28 output to the screen. In gaming the CPUs are about adequate for things
29 like deciding where the bad guys should hide or if your spaceship can
30 carry the selected quantity of cargo. So in gaming it's desirable to
31 dedicate the graphics card to making the screen look pretty, and there
32 is no use for OpenCL.
33
34 The exception to this is that OpenCL type stuff *might* be used for
35 physics simulations in games - I've seen demonstrations in which the
36 PhysX engine is used to model a rockfall or avalanche more accurately,
37 so that more rocks can be shown on screen at once time. Flying through
38 an asteroid field or the debris of an exploded enemy fighter might be
39 better modelled using something like OpenCL. However I doubt that
40 there are many Linux-based games that can use this kind of acceleration.
41
42 Is it possible you were thinking of OpenGL?
43
44 Also: please don't top-post, at least when the person you're replying
45 to has posted underneath some quoted text.
48 Stroller.