From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Testing new kernels - saving dumps / strip down kernel options
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 07:01:50
1 Am 11.01.2013 07:28, schrieb Stroller:
2
3 > I most always take the .config from a recent systemrescuecd and it
4 > has always worked well for me.
5 >
6 > I change "processor type and features" and disable the initrd.
7
8 What to choose for a i7-2600 ... ?
9
10 > There may be some stuff on a LiveCD based distro which is optimised
11 > for running off an optical disk, so I guess a RedHat or Ubuntu
12 > default .config might be better.
13
14 Ah, ok, might be.
15 I took one from gentoo as I assumed the config might fit the
16 gentoo-sources better somehow (although I still don't know what patches
17 are applied to vanilla-sources to get gentoo-sources ... I just thought
18 the config might somehow make use of those changes).
19
20 > These should provide everything you need to boot, and most everything
21 > else as modules, which will be automatically loaded. IMO this is
22 > pretty much optimal.
23 >
24 > The engineers at RedHat and Ubuntu know a heck of a lot more about
25 > kernels than I do. One might be able to make one's kernel
26 > milliseconds more efficient by tuning it by hand, but it will surely
27 > take hours of tinkering to attain that.
28 >
29 > I do not believe you can properly understand the consequences of any
30 > given kernel option merely by reading the one- or two-line
31 > description in makeconfig's help. To *properly* customise a kernel
32 > for oneself will take more research than that, I reckon.
33
34 Yep. I don't look for those last milliseconds, I just want to get rid of
35 some old stuff I might drag along for years already ...
36
37 Thanks, Stefan