From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sudo echo cannot write to /etc/ files ?
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 18:41:18
1 Richard Fish schreef:
2 > BTW Holly,
3 >
4 > You should recognize that from a security standpoint allowing yourself
5 > to execute bash is really giving yourself "blanket permissions to sudo
6 > to all commands". You might as well make life easier on yourself and
7 > just make your sudo settings "ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL".
8 >
9 > My $.02.
10 >
11 > -Richard
14 Thank you for the heads-up, Richard, but it would seem that that isn't
15 quite true-- I did a test:
18 sudo bash -c /etc/init.d/samba restart
19
20 Gentoo Linux RC-Scripts; http://www.gentoo.org/
21 Copyright 1999-2004 Gentoo Foundation; Distributed under the GPL
22
23 Usage: samba < flags > [ options ]
27 In other words, I couldn't restart the Samba daemon, whereas when root I
28 can:
29
30 su
31 Wachtwoord:
32
33 wo 07/06/05 20:31
34 ~
35 root -> /etc/init.d/samba restart
36 * samba -> stop: smbd ...
37
38 [ ok ] * samba -> stop: nmbd ...
39
40 [ ok ] *
41 samba -> start: smbd ...
42
43 [ ok ] * samba -> start: nmbd ...
44
45 [ ok ]
46
47 So I think I'll pass on the ALL/ALL -- I know that this is not the most
48 secure setup possible (though as soon as I set up a personal firewall
49 behind the router's firewall and set up chrootkit, I'll feel yet
50 better), but still, I'd like to keep what minimal limits still exist,
51 despite having punched holes in them my own self.
52
53 Or is this not a valid proof that there are some limits left?
54
55 Holly
56 --
57 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list