From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems with domainname
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 23:48:04
1 On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 02:11:01PM -0800, maxim wexler wrote
2
3 > So both PCs have that line in their /hosts file now.
4 > So I oughta be able to ftp gravity from one or the
5 > other and get connected, right? But it doesn't work
6 > :^(
7 >
8 > Does ftp work for you?
9
10 There are several places where things can go wrong. Here are some
11 boobytraps that I've found out about "the hard way". Put it this
12 way... doing things right comes from experience... "experience" comes
13 from doing things wrong<g>.
14
15 - are you sure you're running ftpd on the target machine?
16
17 - check the logs on both machines to ensure that neither one is
18 rejecting packets from the other by iptables rules
19
20 - post the output of "grep -v ^# /etc/hosts" and "ifconfig eth0" and
21 "route -n" from both machines
22
23 - I've run into some "paranoid" ftpd daemons that need
24 /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny to be set up with proper
25 entries *EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT RUNNING INETD*. Apparently, that ftp
26 daemon reads hosts.allow and hosts.deny follows their rules. Try
27 "emerge -pv" on your ftp program, and check the flags.
30 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
31 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list