From: Matt Joyce <mjoyce@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Frustration with attempt to fix out of date java ebuild [SOLVED]
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 16:28:12
1 Ok, I really just do not get what on earth it thinks I'm doing wrong
2 here, trying to install java firstly the ebuild in portage it appears is
3 too old, it wants me to fetch a copy of 7u15 from a page that now only
4 has 7u17 on it so fail there no problem just update it surely can't be
5 that hard err right so created an up to date copy of the ebuild in my
6 overlay directory except it wont create the manifest repeatedly tells me
7 to put the file jre-7u17-linux-x64.tar.gz in /usr/portage/distfiles,
8 great ok so...
9
10 zeus oracle-jre-bin # cp ~/Downloads/jre-7u17-linux-x64.tar.gz
11 /usr/portage/distfiles
12 zeus oracle-jre-bin # ebuild *.ebuild manifest
13
14 !!! dev-java/oracle-jre-bin-1.7.0.17 has fetch restriction turned on.
15 !!! This probably means that this ebuild's files must be downloaded
16 !!! manually. See the comments in the ebuild for more information.
17
18 * Please download 'jre-7u17-linux-x64.tar.gz' from:
19 *
20 'http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html'
21 * and move it to '/usr/portage/distfiles'
22 !!! Fetch failed for jre-7u17-linux-i586.tar.gz, can't update Manifest
23
24 Err confused repeat, same, redownload same, try again, at this point
25 starting to meet the definition of insanity as the result isn't changing
26 finally after the third time finally notice the last line properly, I've
27 been there dutifully doing as it told me and failed to realize the real
28 issue is that it wants the x86 version of the download as well.
29
30 Next it will point you to a wrong URL asking you to download
31 UnlimitedJCEPolicyJDK7.zip the following URL is the correct one, ty google.
32
33 http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jce-7-download-432124.html
34
35 After adding that ebuild manifest should work and the ebuild merges fine.
36
37 I could have just attached the updated one I guess but I havn't for two
38 reasons firstly I had already written half this post when I noticed what
39 the real problem was and secondly I felt there was likely to be more
40 value to others in sharing the experience than there would in simply
41 attaching the file, I guess similar potential little gotchas may exist
42 with other packages also.
43
44 Real lesson here is probably pretty much read *ALL* the output and don't
45 make assumptions, but anyway if it saves someone else some frustration
46 this was worth typing out.