From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Some symbols render incomplete in text mode
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 10:55:31
1 Am Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 11:57:49PM +0300 schrieb gevisz:
2
3 > After a recent update of my Gentoo system, I have noticed that some
4 > symbols may be rendered incomplete in a text mode.
5
6 Wahat exactly do you mean with “text mode”? Which terminal are you using,
7 and—most importantly—which font?
8
9 > It happens in Gvim, in a web-browser and in a dialog-window for saving
10 > files. Maybe, also in xterm but I am not quite sure about it. So, it is
11 > not specific to any application.
12
13 So not only in text mode (i.e. TTY or terminal)?
14
15 > For example, while saving a web-page from a google-chrome, I sometimes
16 > cannot see a dot before html. However, it is present there.
17
18 See it where? A (small) screenshot may help.
19 Perhaps it is an overwide character, but the program that displays the text
20 wants to adhere to a regular character width. I’ve had this issue in the
21 past with Konsole.
22
23 > Some letters can be shown without their top parts. In youtube videos, I
24 > may see only the lower part of a gear that denotes some customization
25 > features and so on.
26
27 Only the gear? Or also all the other symbols in the video player toolbar?
28 Again, a nicely cropped screenshot may shed some light so we can better
29 understand it.
30
31 > However, I do not see any distortion in playing videos.
32
33 Did you set up a strange or very unusual DPI value for your font rendering?
36 Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
37 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
38
39 I’m lying naked on the bed, eating fruit.
40 In the 16th century, I would have been painted.