From: "Andrés Becerra Sandoval" <andres.becerra@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] NoSQL?
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 17:29:47
1 On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:07 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 03/02/2010 04:23 AM, Arttu V. wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 3/2/10, walt<w41ter@×××××.com>  wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> This article was a big surprise to me.  Am I the last one to hear about
7 >>> this
8 >>> stuff?
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10461670-16.html?part=rss&amp;subj=news&amp;tag=2547-1_3-0-20
12 >>
13 >> If you're expecting a discussion then perhaps you'd care to narrow it
14 >> down a bit: which part of the article are we expected to feel
15 >> surprised about?
16 >
17 > I was surprised that three major social networking sites have dumped
18 > MySQL (but now the article says only two sites).  I've also not heard
19 > of the "NoSQL" movement before, and I'm curious to know what's motivating
20 > it.  Maybe nobody trusts Oracle?
25 The motivation is response times. Non relational systems, specialized
26 for its task, can give speed ups of about one order of magnitud.
29 Andrés