From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] update portage vs update system
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:39:23
1 On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:42:07 -0700 (PDT)
2 maxim wexler wrote:
3
4 > Hello everybody,
5 >
6 > At the end of a successful emerge --sync I was advised
7 > to "update portage". It didn't say but I assumed it
8 > meant "emerge update portage", which is what I did --
9 > so far so good. But the manual only gives update
10 > system or world, no portage.
11
12 you can emerge update anything, eg
13
14 emerge update kde-multimedia
15
16 emerge update portage is just an example of updating a particular
17 package instead of your whole world.
20 > Is emerge update portage the same thing as emerge
21 > update system? The stuff it's updating seem like
22 > "system" stuff: gcc, binutils, glib etc.
23 >
24 > -mw
25 >
27 > Do You Yahoo!?
28 > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
29 > http://mail.yahoo.com
30 > --
31 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
34 Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>