From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Freeze after suspend-to-ram with kernel 3.10
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 15:02:37
1 On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 6:21 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Am 02.08.2013 12:47, schrieb Frank Steinmetzger:
4 >> Hey list
5 >>
6 >> My netbook doesn't freeze so often during operation any more. But now it’s
7 >> started to not properly wake up from suspend-to-ram. It’s like with my big
8 >> laptop: when that one runs on nouveau instead of nvidia-drivers, it behaves
9 >> the very same way, i.e. I switch it on and the screen stays blank. Not even
10 >> sysrq are working then, only hard power-down.
11 >>
12 >> I tried to confirm my oberservation by deliberately hibernating it multiple
13 >> times yesterday -- it always woke up with 3.9. Now I booted it with 3.10 and
14 >> it didn't come up on the first try.
15 >> Do you have any suggestion how I might debug this? I can’t simply report to
16 >> kernel blokes “3.10 is crap on my netbook, you put in a regression somewhere”.
17 >>
18 >> I don’t really have the time right now to go after hunches, such as the new
19 >> tikless system, as building a kernel takes up to 45 minutes on that thing.
20 > well, take your 3.9 config and don't change it.
21
22 If the config change doesn't reveal anything, you can do git bisect of
23 the kernel to find out which patch broke it. When you do git bisect
24 you don't need to recompile the whole kernel every time, it only
25 compiles the changed files, which are usually not many. So even on a
26 slower machine it's not so bad once the first compile is finished.
27
28 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel_git-bisect