From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backups
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 01:19:37
1 On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 20:15:04 +0100
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > Hello Grant,
5 >
6 > > For now I think I'll do /etc, /root, /home, /var/lib/portage/world,
7 > > /usr/src/linux/.config, and anything specific I might need in
8 > > /usr/local. What else am I missing out on in /var?
9 >
10 > Other data in /var/lib. For example, any databases kept
11 > in /var/lib/mysql.
14 BIND, Apache, various mailing programs, at, Xauth, logs if you want to
15 know what happened on a particular computer six months from now (hard
16 to foresee this kind of thing). I think you can clear out /var/tmp if
17 you wish. Also many of the logs can be cleared and such. After
18 clearing all the data you don't need (be careful; some data is
19 important to portage), you shouldn't have too much more than a few
20 hundred megs, pretty much all highly compressable text.
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list