From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] (dual) booting windows kills the ethernet device for linux
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 01:11:13
1 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2 > I feel strange writing this since I can hardly believe it.
3 > However, it seems to be quite repeatable.
4 >
5 > I have a new dell latitude E6500 that I set up for dual booting:
6 > windows 7 and gentoo linux.
7 >
8 > The machine seems to have two "hardware" states determined by whether
9 > windows has been run since power on.
10 >
11 > If you power the machine on it goes into what I call State A.
12 > Now if I either select linux from grub or just use the default we get
13 >
14 > linux boots and eth0 works
15 > reboot
16 > linux boots and eth0 works
17 > ...
18 > reboot
19 > linux boots and eth0 works
20 >
21 > but now reboot into windows and we get State B
22 > windows boots and eth0 works
23 > reboot to linux
24 > linux boots but eth0 fails
25 > reboot
26 > linux boots but eth0 fails
27 > ...
28 > reboot
29 > linux boots but eth0 fails.
30 >
31 > If I then power the machine off instead of simply rebooting
32 > we get back to State A
33 >
34 > power on
35 > linux boots and eth0 works
36 > reboot
37 > linux boots and eth0 works
38 >
39 > etc.
40 >
41 > This is quite repeatable. I would greatly appreciate an explanation.
42 >
43 > thanks,
44 > allan
48 I read about this ages ago. I *think* it was windoze doing some sort of
49 a shutdown on the card, disabling it or putting it into sleep mode if
50 you want to call it that. It appears that Linux isn't "waking" the card
51 up but a power cycle does. It also appears that windoze "wakes" the
52 card up when it boots.
53
54 I'm pretty sure they found a fix but I can't recall what they did. It
55 seems they changed some sort of setting in windoze but not real sure.
56 May want to google the mailing list archives and see if you can find
57 it. I know it is older than the archives I have here. I keep them for
58 a year then it dumps them. So it's been a good while. May have to dig
59 back a while.
60
61 Biggest point of reply, you're not nuts. Someone else had the same
62 problem. lol Hard to believe I remember as much as I did tho. o_O
63
64 Dale
65