From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 13:39:16
1 On Sun, Sep 29 2013, tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org wrote:
2
3 > On 2013-09-29 2:55 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 >> I am the OpenRC author/maintainer and a member of base-system. I can
5 >> tell you that we are not discussing forcing systemd on everyone in
6 >> Gentoo Linux as a default init system. I can also tell you that I am not
7 >> aware of the Gentoo systemd team discussing this. Even if they were, a
8 >> distro-wide change like this would have to be brought before the
9 >> Council.
10 >
11 > Ok, good enough for me until other evidence comes along to cast doubt
12 > as to the truthfulness or sincerity of your statement.
13 >
14 > Thanks William...
15 >
16 > Now to try to get up enough nerve to attempt to merge my /usr
17 > (currently on LVM partition) into my / (does have enough room, and
18 > will leave me with a 19GB / partition with about 5GB free).
19 >
20 > Anyone see a problem with that (only 5GB free on my / after the /usr merge)?
21
22 I understand the need to get up nerve. That was the hardest part for
23 me, and took by far, the most time. I did *not* have room in / for /usr
24 but *did* have an online external disk on the machine with lots of room
25 (Alan's "what I should have done" scheme). I could afford downtime so I
26 did everything booted from an installation CD so that nothing would
27 change.
28
29 1. Booted minimal installation CD
30 2. Copied my 5 lvs (/usr, /opt, /var, /tmp, /local)
31 and my / to the external disk and called them old-root, old-usr,
32 old-opt, old-var, old-tmp, old-local.
33 3. Repartitioned the internal disk to make root bigger.
34 4. Created the vg and pv (I have just one of each).
35 5. Created the 5 filesystems (root, /opt, /var, /tmp, /local), with the
36 last 4 on LVM
37 6. Copied old-root to / and old-usr to /usr
38 7. Mounted the 4 lvs and copied old-opt to /opt, old-var to /var, ...
39
40 Reboot
41
42 It worked.
43
44 Notes.
45
46 1. I had grub in the MBR so that didn't change
47 2. The root fs remained the same partition number (/dev/sda3),
48 so didn't have to change grub.
49 3. In fact /dev/sda3 maintained the same starting location in the new
50 partitioning scheme, but I don't think that was relevant.
51
52 allan