From: louis brazeau <lbrazeau@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install CD sees 2 ethernet ports
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:38:36
1 On 7/25/06, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > For some reason, the X86 minimal install CD sees ethernet ports
3 > according to the startup message. When I ifconfig after booting the
4 > install CD, it shows only eth1. I entered values into both eth0 and
5 > eth1 via net-setup. It looks like eth1 is for real (and it works),
6 > while eth0 is unreal, and unworking. I end up taking down eth0
7 > "ifconfig eth0 down" and running eth1 only. However, when it boots up
8 > manually modify my network settings... PITA. The machine is an AMD
9 > Athlon64 with an ASUS A8N-VM/CSM Ge6150+MP430 motherboard. Here's what
10 > I see when I try to setup and run both eth0 and eth1...
13 snip
16 > Any ideas about what's going on?
17 >
18 > --
19 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
20 > My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
21 > --
22 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
26 I think eth0 is your FireWire port (IEEE 1394).
27
28 You did the right thing already (taking eth0 down). Now you can
29 install Gentoo and unless you configure support for Ethernet over
30 FireWire (or something similar) in your kernel you shouldn't have any
31 problem.
32
33 That was my experience anyway (with a different Asus board, but the
34 same behavior).
37 Louis Brazeau
38 Informaticien
39 --