From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] mounting screws
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 18:06:42
1 On 2/20/22 10:24 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3
4 Hi,
5
6 > I have a couple of vertically mounted easy-swap disk caddies in the
7 > back of my workstation, and I'm having trouble finding screws to
8 > mount the disk in the caddy. Clearance is nil, so the screws must be
9 > countersunk so they aren't proud of the surface. They seem to be m3
10 > perhaps 5mm long.
11 >
12 > I just can't find any via Google. Can anyone in UK please help out?
13
14 I consider screw / bolt / etc. acquisition to start with three primary
15 things:
16
17 1) Thread identification; diameter and pitch of threads
18 2) Length identification
19 3) Head identification; what sort of screw head do you need?
20
21 Once you have this information, chances are quite good that you will be
22 able to find a screw / bolt (that you can modify) to fit your needs.
23
24 I would expect the thread to be well known / documented for the type of
25 hard drive you're using. Maybe even some of the length information
26 related to how much goes into the drive body.
27
28 You might be able to find out some head information from documents from
29 the manufacturer of the drive sled, maybe some length information too.
30
31 I have a micrometer that I use for measuring some things like this.
32 It's an inexpensive plastic one from a local hardware store, but it gets
33 the job done. (I'm only going to one decimal place on mm measurements.)
38 Grant. . . .
39 unix || die