From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Creating Blue-ray video discs
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 16:01:11
1 On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 10:12:44AM -0500, Dale wrote:
2 > Wonder why it is not being kept up to date.  Maintainer no longer
3 > interested in it, other tools took its place???
4
5 The code developer is a Gentoo developer. I've looked at the C (one file) and
6 it's not particularly good code; 100+ line functions with a few memory
7 leaks and generally poor C-programming practices. I would advise against using
8 it, especially considering that it doesn't provide any functionality over
9 grepping through use{,.local}.desc or using the on-line index.
10
11 It also has a few other silly bugs [1] and quirks; I'd be very dissatisfied if a
12 programmer under my (hypothetical) employment wrote such code.
13
14 The maintainer/developer also seems to have a very carefree attitude to serious
15 bug reports, such as replying with "euses checks for an environment variable
16 PORTDIR. Does this help?" to the report regarding his tool relying heavily on
17 deprecated features.
18
19 [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/715748
23 Ashley Dixon