From: Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Without udev, who/what names ethernet devices?
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 15:06:02
1 On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 1:06 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >> Regarding this string "eth0":
3 >>
4 >> 1. What does this string represent? Is it a file on a filesystem?
5 >> (no!) Is it okay for me to call it an "ethernet *device*"
6 >
7 > It's just a name.
8
9 I'm interested in a bit more resolution here. I believe we
10 established that the name "eth0" is given by the kernel. Presumably
11 these names are made available through system calls. What is the name
12 of the system call that provides these monikers? I'm curious by what
13 moniker systemcalls refer to these devices. For example, is the
14 systemcall that retrieves these monikers called "GetEthernetNames"?
15
16 > What you CANNOT do with udev is eg switch the names eth0 and eth1 around
17 > after the kernel has named them. That was tried for years, it doesn't
18 > work. So now udev never interferes with kernel namespace, it create it's
19 > own namespace
20
21 Okay. From your description I conclude that there are two classes of
22 names for ethernet devices. "Kernel ethernet names" and "udev
23 ethernet names". When a userland utility (wuch as ifconfig) takes an
24 "ethernet device name" as input are they expecting a "kernel ethernet
25 name" or the "udev ethernet name"? That question can be answered with
26 a simple "kernel" or "udev" but I'm interested in a little more
27 detail. What do these userland utilities do with the name? Are these
28 utilities calling systemcalls such as
29 GivePropertiesOnEthernetNameInKernelNamespace("eth0")? Are they
30 establishing a connection to a udev server and querying based on udev
31 namespace names?
32
33 The goal of these questions is not for me to determine if udev is good
34 or bad, debate global warming, etc. I just want to technically
35 understand these names, what their differences are, where they come
36 from, how they are referred in various function calls, etc.
37
38 Chris