From: Thufir <hawat.thufir@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gmail + Email Client = No way
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 18:10:33
1 On Sun, 27 Aug 2006, Lord Sauron wrote:
2 [...]
3 >>> Otherwise, it only grabs about a hundred or so
4 >>> emails at a time, and will never get the latest emails.
5
6 Which is an issue with Gmail, I think.
7
8 > On a weekend I set up KMail with my GMail account. About 6,000 threads.
9 >
10 > What I did was set up the account and then enabled interval checking for
11 > every minute and then went off and did other things while ignoring
12 > KMail.
13 >
14 > I'd suggest leaving the machine on overnight with KMail using interval
15 > checking.
16 [...]
17
18 Pine seems to work. Are you using filters and so forth on your gmail
19 page? Google is philosophically opposed, apparently, to directories, so
20 the way in which messages are stored by google is different, of course,
21 from how they're stored with whichever client you POP your messages with,
22 which will use directories.
23
24 There are weird behaviors, I believe, when first setting up POP3 with
25 google, in that not all the messages are grabbed. However, after that
26 initial weirdness it's consistent, to my knowledge.
27
28 You can check (google) the archives for comp.mail.pine, and probably other
29 groups, about gmail weirdness, historically, at least. It might be better
30 now.
33 Thufir
34
35 see: <http://hawat.thufir.googlepages.com/pinerc.txt> for a .pinerc file