From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] IPTABLES syntax change?
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 23:14:01
1 On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 11:28:15AM +0000, Graham Murray wrote
2
3 > The problem is not really the OP's fault. The problem is that if you
4 > have tables with the form "-m state --state XXX" at the point you
5 > upgrade, iptables-save (quite possibly called automatically by
6 > /etc/init.d/iptables stop) will save it as "-m state --state" - ie
7 > 'forgetting' which state(s) the rule applies to.
8
9 Thanks for pointing that out. I looked back at an archived version,
10 and it had stuff like...
11
12 -A ICMP_IN -p icmp -m state --state NEW -j UNSOLICITED
13 -A TCP_IN -p tcp -m state --state NEW -m tcp -j UNSOLICITED
14 -A UDP_IN -p udp -m state --state NEW -j UNSOLICITED
15
16 I.e. new external connection attempts were rejected, except for my
17 lan which bypasses this rule so I can scp/ssh etc between my machines.
18 No wonder I was puzzled by what I saw.
21 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
22 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications