From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Is VLAN configuration manual section up to date?
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 14:32:50
1 On 2014-02-06, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 5 February 2014 15:58:22 CET, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>On 2014-02-05, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >>> On 4 February 2014 22:27:03 CET, Grant Edwards
5 >><grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>>Are the VLAN configuration docs up to date?
8 >>>>
9 >>>>http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=4&chap=3#doc_chap10
10 >>>>
11 >>>>The reason I ask is that the Gentoo docs talk about using vconfig,
12 >>>>while other distros have dropped vconfig and now use the ip2route
13 >>>>packages 'ip' command instead:
14 >>[...]
15 >>>>Does Gentoo not have issues with udev trying to automagically rename
16 >>>>vlan network interfaces as described in the Arch Linux page?
17 >>
18 >>> I disabled the udev device name randomizer to ensure I keep the eth*
19 >>> names. (I use bonding for the interfaces, don't care about the names
20 >>> as long as they all end up in the same bond)
21 >>
22 >>Rather than bond them together, I'm going to use them as separate
23 >>interfaces. I'm looking for a way to have 8 to 16 Ethernet interfaces
24 >>on some cheap old desktop machines. Connecting the motherboard
25 >>Ethernet interface to an external managed VLAN switch seems like the
26 >>way to go. So I do care what the names are -- we'll see what tricks
27 >>udev tries to play.
28 >
29 > If you only have 1 interface, disable udevs randomizer and use eth0.
30
31 Good idea. The machines currently have two interfaces, but if the
32 vlan+switch setup works, then I can pull the second NIC out.
33
34 > When configuring the vlans you can set the names in the config.
35
36 Great!
37
38 Thanks.
41 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! over in west
42 at Philadelphia a puppy is
43 gmail.com vomiting ...