From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fluxbox without xorg-server? How do you start X?
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 16:12:08
1 On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 6:04 AM, Neil Bothwick<neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 14:00:55 +0100, Mick wrote:
3 >
4 >> Isn't it correct to say that you just need to emerge x11-base/xorg-x11,
5 >> which will pull in x11-base/xorg-server by default (unless you have
6 >> some fancy USE flags setup).
7 >
8 > It will also pull in a shedload of dependencies, being a meta
9 > package,something that is not likely to appeal to the typical
10 > Fluxbox user.
13 > --
14 > Neil Bothwick
17 Exactly. My use of fluxbox on this machine was to test that X is even
18 working over S-Video. (It is.) My goal after that was to emerge MythTV
19 again and try running that. That causes X to crash for MTRR problems
20 so that would be today's goal. This didn't used to happen with my old
21 kernel and the fglrx driver so probably I haven't configured the
22 kernel correctly?
23
24 With xorg-server & fluxbox emerged I only needed about 20 packages to
25 get Myth installed so I agree that xorg-x11 pulls in a bunch of stuff
26 I probably don't need.
27
28 I would have emerged xorg-x11 if I hadn't been reading through the
29 xorg config guide once again and seen that this was an option. I'm not
30 sure the other stuff is big, but it's a lot of packages.
31
32 - Mark