From: David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 10:38:20
1 On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 07:26:43 +0800, wdk@moriah wrote about Re:
2 [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought:
3
4 > On 29/03/2012, at 20:01, David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com> wrote:
5 [snip]
6 > > At present, the first thing I see when udev starts is a failed
7 > > attempt to run /usr/sbin/alsactl to restore the audio levels on my
8 > > sound card. This occurs before localmount or any other services in
9 > > the sysinit run-level have been started.
10 [snip]
11 > that error was what clued me up to genkernels initramfs failing to
12 > mount /usr - the mount failure wasnt on screen long enough to see ...
13 >
14 > error reporting for the initramfs method needs fixing so users can
15 > faultfind problems more easily. flashing something on screen for a
16 > second and immediately pushing it offscreen doesnt count when there
17 > is lo logging to dmesg etc.
18
19 The machine in question is not currently running an initramfs. This
20 one reason why the udev developers believe that having /usr physically
21 separate from / is "broken".
22
23 No error messages from udev or any of its scripts are logged. Perhaps
24 dmesg logging is "broken" too.
25
26 > par for the course - run an initramfs (complexity) means more WILL go
27 > wrong so ways to fix it for normal users need to be in place..
28
29 Yes, it is a chore, debugging an initramfs.
30 --
31 Regards,
32
33 Dave [RLU #314465]